Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Polymer Portrait Head Cracked, #2

Aaarg... AGAIN!
Come on Kato, what is the deal? I confirm the oven's temperature. I slowly heat the oven with the piece inside, also pre-heating. In this case, after the head completed baking, I left my head in the oven to cool for over 2 hours. I am so frustrated!


Leslie Anne Pease


Leslie Anne Pease

I kneaded the clay for a while. Blending translucent and flesh together, I wanted them well mixed. But, I worked on this for approximately 10 hours (last night and all day) and the layers prior were not going to be as recently kneaded as the subsequent layers... I am not that fast. Would that REALLY make THAT much of a difference?

I really am resisting going back to Fimo clay. The clay becomes too sticky and difficult to model when worked too long. So, I am at a loss. I guess I need to rethink my methods and my approach a bit. Any thought?

Thanks for your continued interest!
-Les

2 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Wish I had insight to share. I do recall in working with regular clay, you add water or silt to help keep it moist. I'm wondering if you could make a silt (bits of fimo blended with water to make a thin film) if this might help? I'll be curious if others have insights on this. But the color composition of the skin is beautiful.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Leslie Anne Pease said...

Thank you SewCalGal for your suggestion!

Unfortunately, polymer clay can not be blended with water. But using the slip idea is good. My only problem is, every time I bake there are new cracks, somewhere else.

I am thinking of ways to streamline some of the basic steps so doing these trial and errors will take less time.

One bright side is, I am getting a lot of practice with heads! When I finally figure out the clay issues, I'll be a master at sculpting faces.

Thank you again SewCalGal! I really appreciate you putting on your thinking cap!